It’s no secret that moving takes careful planning, especially when you’re coordinating a long-distance move. Even the most organized homeowners sometimes need a little extra help knowing when and how to start the moving process.
Fortunately, there are some tips for creating a logical and realistic timeline for a move in the Maryland area. No matter if you’re moving across town or even across the country, a detailed agenda can help you feel more in control of your relocation.
All in all, you’ll want to give yourself about two months of leeway for moving. Don’t be tempted to leave everything until the last minute, or you could find yourself in over your head towards your move-out date.
The simplest way to relieve stress is to hire a professional moving company like 495 Movers to help you through the process. Professional movers can provide many services that remove the burden from your shoulders.
- Coordinate with a long-distance moving company to set a moving day. Schedule this date as far in advance as possible to ensure they aren’t booked for the week you need them. Keep in mind that summer months can be an especially busy time for moving companies.
- Start packing your belongings about seven to eight weeks before your move. Of course, you’ll need some items between then and your move-out date, but there’s no reason not to start boxing up out-of-season clothing and rarely used appliances.
- Donate unwanted items to groups like the Salvation Army or Goodwill. Alternatively, you can give them away to friends and family or even sell them to make a little money back on them. By getting rid of your excess items, you’ll save money and time when it comes to actually relocate your belongings.
- Forward your mail and change addresses on any official documents to ensure you don’t miss any important documents during the transition period.
- Take apart your furniture a week or two before you move. Furniture will be one of the last things to go, but you’ll need to stagger this task out over a few days, as it can be time-consuming.
Call 495 Movers when you need assistance with any of the steps above! Since 2009, we’ve been a local moving and storage company that has provided full-service packing services for residents. Give us a call or reach out using our convenient online form, and we’ll send you a free quote for your Maryland move!
Subscribe to 495 Movers's Blog