When you’re getting ready to relocate, there’s a lot to figure out! One of the most important decisions you’ll make is choosing a dependable moving company. You want to make certain your priceless belongings and valuables are under the care of experienced professionals.
But how do you know you’re selecting the right moving company for the job?
While it’s tempting to go with the lowest bid or a seemingly amazing offer, these attention-grabbing tactics are often the work of deceptive scammers. The last thing you need during a busy move is a disreputable company leveraging your goods for more and more money.
Tips for Finding a Reliable Moving Company
The best way to avoid fly-by-night operators is to do the research. Reliable professional movers will have an undeniable record of success. These legitimate, licensed companies abide by the long-distance moving regulations set out by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMSCA) and should be willing to answer all of your questions.
Here are some helpful ways to find a respected moving company:
- Check Industry Sites: The American Moving and Storage Association (AMSA) and the Better Business Bureau offer easy-to-use online resources for identifying moving companies with ProMover certifications and highly rated records.
- Ask Friends and Family: If you know someone who has used professional movers in the past, ask about their experience and see if they would recommend the company.
- Know Your Rights: Every licensed mover is required by law to provide you with a copy of an informational packet called “Your Rights and Responsibilities When You Move.” This booklet outlines your consumer rights, as well as what to do if your belongings are lost or damaged.
Moving Company Red Flags
Once you begin receiving estimates for your move, it’s important to review the pricing and contracts carefully. Moving scammers will often try to add on hundreds of dollars in undisclosed fees during or after your move. Look out for these common red flags:
- Hidden Fees: Make sure to sign a completed moving contract that outlines all of the associated fees before your move starts.
- Moving Date Deposits: Legitimate moving companies will not charge you a deposit to hold your moving date. Be wary of any mover who requires you to pay upfront for their services.
- Broad Estimates: A dependable moving company will base their estimate off a thorough walk-through of your home and careful assessment of your belongings. Do not trust one-size-fits-all estimates that leave out details like the number of rooms, weight of goods, etc.
Contact the Trusted Professionals at 495 Movers, Inc.
When you choose 495 Movers, Inc. for your next relocation, you can rest assured you’ll receive honest, upfront pricing and quality work. Every member of our team must pass a background check, drug test, and driving test before joining our crew. We’ve delivered five-star moving and storage services to our customers since 2009! Call now to learn more about our local and long-distance moving services in Maryland, Virginia, and Washington D.C., or fill out our quick online form to request a free, no-commitment cost estimate.
Subscribe to 495 Movers's Blog