There are few events in life that are as exciting as moving to a brand-new city, far from your hometown. But that doesn’t mean that it isn’t also stressful and overwhelming! When it comes down to it, every move has its challenges, and planning a long-distance move involves a lot of details, coordination, and support in order to be successfully executed. Although some people take on the challenge of a DIY move, your best bet is to look into hiring a reputable Maryland moving company to ensure that your items arrive safely at your new home.
At 495 Movers, we’ve been the trusted name for interstate movers for decades, and we fully understand the unique challenges and rewards that come with long-distance moving. The first step in any successful move is being prepared long before your moving day arrives, and we’ve put together the following tips and tricks to get you started on your next adventure:
- Make a Budget (And Try to Stick to It!): Budgeting for a move can be a challenge, and it doesn’t help that the prices for long-distance movers can vary widely. Start by looking at what you can afford with your upcoming move, and get several written estimates from local moving companies to compare costs.
- Read Your Moving Contract Thoroughly: So, you think you’ve found your ideal residential moving company, but do you really know what you’re getting? Read the fine print of your contract and watch out for hidden service fees that can add up. Some providers, such as 495 Movers, have a price guarantee, so you know that the price you’re quoted will be the final total!
- Dive in and Declutter: Most long-distance moves are priced by pound, so it’s time to take a hard look at what you do (and don’t) want to haul to your new home. Go room by room and donate or toss anything that isn’t needed, and you’ll have a head start in making packing much easier.
- Quality Matters With Packing: 495 Movers offers free packing materials with any move, so you know your items will be protected—but that isn’t the case with every company! Only use quality, sturdy moving boxes to pack your items if you want to protect them over the long distance to your next location.
- Take an Organized Approach: We know that packing is one of the most tedious tasks of moving, but it pays to do it right the first time! Take your time and label each box with the contents and room that it belongs in. Also make sure to mark any boxes with fragile items for your movers!
- Plan Ahead for Delivery: Typically, long-distance movers will give you a “window” for delivery, which means that you need to prepare! Pack your important documents and plenty of essentials to get you through at your new home until your items arrive, and be sure to take them with you in your personal vehicle.
- Understand the Move-In Process: Are you moving to a condo or apartment building? Be sure to clear it with your building manager so you understand their regulations for moving companies! It’s also important to plan ahead for factors such as on-street parking, permits, and elevator usage to make sure that your moving and storage team isn’t left out in the cold.
While any relocation can come with challenges, set-backs, and stress, the most important thing is that you are working with a qualified residential moving company that knows how to lighten the load of your next move! At 495 Movers, we’ll work closely with you from beginning to end—giving you the tools, service, and support you need for a hassle-free process. Just give us a call today to learn more about our Maryland movers, or fill out our online form and we’ll get you started with a free estimate and consultation.
Subscribe to 495 Movers's Blog